Sunday 20 December 2009

The Fat Cats' Den of Inequity

Byline: The business model of sell or die, of power and desperation, is being brought to everyday life as ordinary people struggle to keep going

[The Dragon's Den is a British show where brave people pitch their ideas to four ridiculously successful businessmen, in the hope that one or more will fund their idea]


In the Fat Cats' Den of Inequity,

politicians and businessmen sit in judgement of people*
who are just trying to find enough work
to have money
to eat and keep warm.

Show 1
Respect for working overtime

A young office worker approaches the Fat Cat panel and meekly asks a question:
Steve Karoshi: According to the EU law, we're not supposed to work more than 48 hours a week. I just wanted to know whether hourly-paid workers like me can get time-and-a-half for overtime hours and holidays. I mean, it's easier to pay me extra than it is to hire another worker, and I'm willing to work hard.

Fat Cat Pete responds:
I'm going to crush your union.** You're a Postie, right? You're screwed. We're privatising you***, ya lazy pillock. Who do you think I am? Maggie Thatcher? You're lucky you have a job. By the way, we don't have many holidays anyway. We've got BANK holidays. Not the same thing, you see?
Where's that Russian oligarch gone to? I gotta kiss up to him...regularly. If you'll excuse me.

Even the Fat Cats have daddies. More next week. Stay tuned.

-the above is a fictional story, mostly.

-Costick67 (8^P
* I've put them together because they're the tag team of people-screwers
** he actually did say that and it was printed in the media. checkitout
*** they've been trying

fotos (in order) from:
fotosearch.com, 38 degrees.org