Saturday 9 April 2011

just another bric up in the wall





[Banksy goes to the Wall, behind which there is much wailing. really!]
a few thoughts on the building of walls. Walls that separate, by their nature, or by design.
Wall Street is separating people from their life savings,
and separating the plutocracy from the people that they are enslaving.

the famous wall in the Mid-East is separating
the indigenous people from their farm land, their houses,
sources of fresh water, freedom of movement, and so on.
You'd think that local universities would be in favour
of investigating the injustices, but they're in on the game,
helping the oppressors.

These are some of the reasons why BRIC-UP and PAC-BI exist.
Bricup here in the UK is the Br Comm. for the Universities of Pal estine
It's promoting an academic boycott and I've been watching their progress for three years now.
They've got some big names
[artists and academics and universities]
to not have anything to do with the apartheid government
over there.

The lastest person to give a voice to issues is Roger Waters,
from Pink Floyd, every bong user's favourite band: [from bricup website]
Roger Waters of Pink Floyd told the Guardian:

"I want the music industry to support Pal estinians' rights and oppose this inhumane barrier ...
"I was contracted to perform in Tel A. Pale stinians from a movement advocating an academic and cultural boycott of Israel urged me to reconsider. I had already spoken out against the wall, but I was unsure whether a cultural boycott was the right way to go.
"The Palestinian advocates of a boycott asked that I visit the occupied Palestinian territory to see the wall for myself before I made up my mind. I agreed.
"Under the protection of the United Nations I visited J-salem and Bethlehem. Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw that day. The wall is an appalling edifice to behold. It is policed by young Isr soldiers who treated me, a casual observer from another world, with disdainful aggression."
___
It's like prophetic that they would make an album called
The Wall, innit?


Other people who have joined are :
Faithless, Elvis Costello, Johnny Depp, Vanessa Paradis
Massive Attack, many academics and universities
Bricup are now working on the Coen Brothers and sir Bob Geldof

and they're taking on Ecole Normale Supérieure in Paris for not letting
the message get out; a massive attack on free speech

I'm sorry to say that 2 of those who have
ignored the boycott calls have been big Canadians
Leonard Cohen & Margaret Atwood

In a related story:
Banksy goes to the Wall
draws his stuff,
and gets told to stuff himself.
The locals know when somebody is using
their suffering to agrandise himself.
so they told him to
hit the next checkpoint and get out.