Friday 29 May 2015

Ireland's middle class sells out

There's a story by David McWilliams, a guy
who's pretty sharp with the Punk Economics
stories. He has the nous to back up his theories
and some good cartoonists too.

However, on this story, he's way off the mark.
He sees how retail in Ireland has shifted radically
to a kind of Emerald E-bay site for selling
household wares.
He sees this as a good omen, because it will
undercut the retail magnates, domestic and foreign.
I don't know, but I wish it would undercut the
Irish bankers who have robbed the country blind.

I think it's a sign that the middle class has woken up
and said,
"why the feck do I have so much crap in my house?"
"times must have been good, before 2010"
"what the feck was I thinking?"
"let's get some more liquidity in our finances"
"sell the whole shed, contents and all"
"and buy Guinness"

They've seen that they "bought" a bigger house
cuz they had bought too much STUFF:


They'll sell up their stuff. But that's the first step to 
selling their house, if they "own" it, and downsizing
because they're essentially broke. Also, they'll
tolerate second-hand tat, which the middle class
never had to do, except for me. I have no pride.


I'm not the only one who has said that the middle 
class is being squeezed, after so much studying and working hard,
for the Man, but in the ever-positive
Ireland, they see the bright side of it. 

You decide: