Sunday 15 March 2009

hypocritical humans and animal lovers

I always like the moniker 'animal lover' as I imagine people 'doing' a quadruped, doggy-style, I guess. Visions of Clerks II, and Bachelor Party; smiles all around. see below


On a serious note, I hope to once and for all cut through the bullsh*t on the things that we eat, keep and kill. Firstly, I don't understand vegetarians and vegans and their attitude to their own holiness. But they're only the worst of a sad lot; humankind, that is.

argument 1- Plants are not beings, so we can eat them: Actually, I've heard research which says that when plants are cut, they emit a sound like a scream. They have circulation. They tilt towards the sun. They have evolved to meet the threats in their environment. Does that sound like an inanimate object to you? (especially now that they're genetically-modified. they'll be talking soon, saying "pick me!")

argument 2- Humans are not somehow part of the cycle of life: Some animals kill other animals or insects in order to live. Why shouldn't we? (right, Heston Blumenthal Ponce?)

Are we somehow holy?
Although, on BBC 4, Japanese sushi chefs cut up a fish that's still wriggling, there are animals which, when they can, also eat humans: crocodiles, lions, etc.
I have to agree that meat is vastly overrated and it's production is horribly damaging to the environment. While crops are somewhat less so, the carbon-intensive system of worldwide distribution is as much a part of plant cultivation as it is for meat.

argument 3- I'm an animal lover but I eat meat: Certain animals are thus too cute to eat. If they're not cute, then they're fair game. Who could love a cow?
(see the pup, pretty and WHITE. don't kill that)
argument 4- Meat animals are fed crap: True, but crops are also full of chemicals and pesticides, unless they're organic. The same holds for meat, though.
argument 5- I'm an animal lover, but I think that zoos are okay: I can agree if a species is threatened (a victim of our greed, no doubt), it must be protected. But putting animals into confinement for our entertainment is vile, horrid treatment. If it were a human, this would be a discussion of 'jailing'. What have these animals done wrong?
I just heard of a Swedish chimp (it was probably born there) that stored rocks to throw at people. Some where surprised that it could plan its battle, like a human. Others were sadened that the chimp was castrated to make it more docile as a result of its behaviour (don't worry, they'll be doing it to humans soon). The only thing that was not discussed was the fact that the chimp didn't like being where it was. But, we're so inured to their suffering that we were actually entertained by this story.




argument 6- I'm an animal lover, but I confine my pet to my house for 23 hours a day: You're doing that for your own pleasure, ignoring the fact that animals are meant to be outside. You're also damaging your health since cat and dog skin sheds and can get into your lungs, or your kids', causing them asthma. That's not to mention the feces they track into the house. I can smell a 'dog' house (the ones with a mortgage) within seconds of entering. They stink. These most unlucky of domesticated animals have many of the same illnesses we have from eating manufactured foodstuffs and sitting around all day. Is that not cruelty to animals? (it's a dream-come-true for vets, I'm sure)
(meow! if you pet it, she purrs)
argument 6- I'm an animal lover, a vegetarian or a vegan but I'm in favour of the invasion of Iraq: Someone ought to invade your home with a weapon and spray "hypocrite" on the wall, in red.


argument 7-We are not animals and so we should reject any and all harm to any human: This is on its face good, but tough to do. When I see a story or situation of any kind of abuse towards children, it truly hurts. While vigilance against this is a good thing, some kids are still going to suffer no matter what we do.
There is so much unnecessary death and suffering in human history. And it doesn't look like it's going to change in the near future either. What about all those crying kids in Africa who are being videoed by well-fed cameramen? Why doesn't any rich guy sort them out? Because we're animals; the potential saviours and the idle watchers.
The latest attrocity I heard about is quite old, actually. The Norwegian government mistreated all of the children that were fathered by the occupying Nazi soldiers, as if it was the kids' fault. I suppose I should be happy that they weren't all slaughtered in 1945. So who were the animals there, though, the Nazis or the Norwegians?
They call all such things inhuman treatment, but it happens every day. It's not inhuman, it's inhumane (but that's only a theory). This treatment is, in fact, very animalistic and yet fully human. Things go on in much the same way in the animal kingdom. Some turtles hatch thousands of young and most of them are eaten before they hit the sea. You see, we're not that different from the animals after all.
It's just the cycle of life. We are merely lucky that we are well-insulated from the true meaning of this because we have safe homes with lots of food. Animals cannot easily eat us. Other people go off to war in our name and kill others, like in Iraq and we sit and watch it on tv. Nobody complains well enough to get it stopped. Why? Because we're animals. i.e. we're good at looking after our brood and little else.

We have farmers to raise our food, and slaughterhouses to kill it for us, so somehow we are these holy beings looking down on the animal kingdom, right? wrong. We are just insulated and apart from it, but not different from it, or above it. In fact, we're uniquely animalistic and actually on the fringes because we're fratricidal, unlike any other animal, even those fighting over territory (one of our specialties).
This separation is the reason why we find environmental action so hard to put forward. We don't want to give up this gilded cage (we ride to work in a metal box, goddamit!). We control nature in order to feel safe.

Solutions?:
I think that the closer we are to the raising and culling of our food, the more respectful we will be towards the earth and its goods.

I think the more we know about the skills of war, the more we will respect the deadliness they can unleash and thus the more respect we will have for peace. I'm a pacifist but I benefited from my military training. I'd never want to go to war. But I appreciate the fact that I am trained, if the need arises to defend myself and my family.


all snaps fotosearch.com royalty-free
checkitout: BBC4 Fish! A Japanese Obsession